Sunday 23 September 2012

Judgement day: Reading Entity - September 23rd


Reading Entity

If you asked me 8 short weeks ago how these players would fare if we threw them together into the open division of the race-4 at CPPS. I would have looked down at the ground and guessed - 'Somewhere around the middle'.

If anyone did ask me that question then right now I would have those words in front of me on a plate; lightly salted with a slice of humble pie.

For me this was my first race-4 game this year; for others this was their first tournament in years; but for all of us this was the first time we played a tournament together as a team. But that was exactly what we did. Individually we're all very different players with varying levels of experience, but together we played as one aggressive and unforgiving team; a dominant force that dictated the games our fucking way; we were not so much 5 players as 1 living entity (see what I did there?).

We also do a lot for the game in the form of sex appeal.

The points were played hard and fast (yeah baby) and.. well the proof is in the pudding.

Entity 4 - 1 Volatile
Entity 4 - 0 Celtic Banshees
Entity 4 - 0 Kinetic
Entity 4 - 1 Laysick VIP


1st. Fucking. Place.
  

We had problems with a bit of paint chopping, probably down to the cold weather. Also a couple penalties were made against us which does need addressing, but all in all we couldn't argue with the result.

On a personal level I felt strangely empowered. This was the first time I had played a tournament with a team I have trained with relatively often (I've rarely trained with a team more than once every few months in the past). I played the Teabag side all day and innately knew that it didn't matter who on my team was with me, I had faith in them and their ability to keep me alive so I could get to work.

It was this empowerment which just inflated my game and my ability to play aggressive and intimidate other teams and my god is it a good feeling. Yeah I wasn't perfect, I have a long way to go, but I was playing better than I ever have and I owe that to this new concept of teamplay.  


I made the decision last training that I am definitely going to see things through with Entity and their fight into the elite division with the big dogs next year. I've had the vision for 2 seasons now and pictured myself joining a feeder/sister team and working my way up, but to be a part of a newly rebuilt team and earn that place as a team is going to be so much more rewarding.

This winter we train hard; we have a lot of work to do... because today we made a statement and told everyone around that we are coming and that we are hungry. Today Reading Entity showed that it can bark, next year we need to bring the bite.


No comments:

Post a Comment