Wednesday 14 May 2014

Windy training 10th/11th May

So this weekend was pretty adverse when it came to the weather. It was raining sideways on Friday night and on my walk home I decided I wanted to get out of it as quickly as possible so I ran home. On the final stretch I managed to open my metal garden gate with my face. I simultaneously managed to open my face with my metal garden gate.


Then it was Saturday and a few of us went up to train as Liam had made the trip from Glasgow for the team training we had scheduled. The conditions were not good for paintball as the wind was so strong it was ripping bunkers out of the ground! All we could do is some running and gunning drills and some break out shooting drills when the wind wasn't blustery.

On Sunday it was the same story, apart from some of the guys from Angels and UWE had come up. The powers that be behind Cribbs decided as we couldn't set up a field we would only charge for paint and no entry.

I set up 4 cones so that we could run between them shooting at a stationary target (read: Barrel) that wasn't too far away so that the wind became such a large factor.


I mainly did two different runs, the red run worked on running and gunning whilst moving forwards (which is surprisingly quite hard compared to moving laterally!) and only one switch of the hands at the 3rd cone. Whereas the blue run required two hand-switches. To even it up I would switch which cone I started with after a few runs so that both hands were exercised evenly.

It was a surprisingly tiring drill after you've dumped a whole pack running it as quick as possible, so I decided it was time for some smaller runs and some break out shooting.


I set up 2 barrels. as primary and secondary lanes, only shooting 2-3 balls at the first target before switching to the 2nd target for the rest of the run. I set out a cone on the left and on the right to simulate the 'apple and orange' bunkers on most fields and to stop the drill going stale I also changed the type of run I did - the red run was to move straight to the bunker (quite common if you're sharing that bunker or if there's 3 of you stacked on that side of the start gate) and the blue run was to simulate edging out or trying to get out of the lane as soon as possible. 

Although it wasn't the most thrilling training weekend, for the resources and the weather we had to deal with, it was still fairly productive.

Truth be told however I was just shooting left over training / tournament paint from the last CPPS so I'm afraid the shot count isn't going up this weekend as they would have been used in last months tally!

In my home life I have recently been a bit of a waster, skimping at the gym and putting in the hours at the pub (see top picture). I've started to notice the toll it's taking on me and so I'm going back with renewed determination this week to pack away less pints and pick up more heavy things.

No comments:

Post a Comment