Monday 6 August 2012

July

July

What can you expect from a month renowned for it's small hopeful moments of sunlight, snatched away by showers of rain? Oh wait that's April. FUCK JULY.

It wasn't a very busy paintball month for me, however it was definitely useful.

July 1st 

The first day consisted of a relatively slow day for me at the walk-on at Skirmish Cribbs Causeway. Then for two weeks I was out of the game due to a very busy schedule sorting out business and stuff.
Getting shit done


July 19th

It had been a long time coming but my local site at Skirmish Cribbs Causeway had finally got their field together with some old sup air fields that had to be repaired and the grass needed (and to an extent still does) a bit of nurturing. The bonus is not just shorter distances to train, but it also adds in the option of a weekly Thursday night session while the sun is still out. I got mugged in the face pretty hard and realized that my JT bottoms need swapping over - but I think I'm going to hold out until I can get my hands on a pair of those e-flex's. Those things look tight!


July 22nd


It was time to head back up to Stafford and scrim. The puddles were deep and hadn't quite gotten over the July Showers that hit pretty hard during the week. We jumped in with/against a few handy players from the Firm as well as some other guys who I didn't really know. Didn't get much technical training done - just a bit of snapshooting - but I did get a lot of reps in on the scrims and every little helps.

Today was also the day of the Youth trials. I know a few of the kids from Academy 49 and was glad to see that they did well and have made it to the last 15 as they are working hard pretty much every weekend.. Just like I have



July 28-29th

On Saturday I headed up to CPPS yet again for Manchester Firm's open day / tryouts. Although I'm not particularly looking to join their squad, I wanted to see what they were like first hand and hey, I had a Saturday off and a chance to play ball. Sold.

Went through a few drills - off the break shooting, snapshooting - I did manage to sharpen my snapping technique a bit further with a bit of guidance from one of the guys, pointing my outside toe towards my opponent wasn't something I've consciously thought of before but it definitely put me in a much better place when I snapped out. Snapshooting and first ball accuracy is something I've been struggling to get used to and it probably explains my weakness in gunfights.

Luckily however we did a few domination drills and 2v2's where I felt I stood out quite well. I managed to pull off a couple 2v1's and made a few sneaky moves through the dorito's - I've found I'm pretty handy at utilizing dead space in those situations where there's only a few players left on the field. 

Anyway, overall on Saturday I feel like I played well. I'm usually quite modest but I know that I was one of the better guys there - upon saying that I do realize that a lot of the better players of the Firm weren't around and that those who were, weren't on the field.

Sunday was much more fun. I went up to Cribbs to train with Snatch. We did a few drills, some I found more useful than others. One of my favorites was a 4 way snapshooting drill where 4 of the dorito's were kind of in a square around the middle of the field and we had to shoot our opposite and our diagonal opponents. It was a good way to play tight but not forget about the other side of our body too, I think we have all at one time been guilty of leaving dat ass out begging for a pounding. 


Overall 

it was a good month for consolidating my skills and finding more out about my weaknesses. No tournaments this month but coming up in August I think I'm doing some training at Bricketwood, some more Thursday nights at Cribbs and gonna bang out as many games as I can at Super5ives on the 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment